[Amps] Drying out HV transformers / Chokes

Will Matney craxd1 at verizon.net
Sun Sep 18 10:54:42 EDT 2005

Don,

You can use an electric space heater too. One like the old "milk-barn" types works well. Just set the transformer up with its layers open to the heater about 6-8 inches away. You may have to turn it once exposing the other open side. I'd advise doing this though where nothing could be caught on fire for some odd reason as this takes a while. The heater itself should pose no problems if it has an active tip-over switch. Let it cook for a few days and it should be as dry as a bone. It needs to be pretty hot to the touch but not to where it would actually burn the fish paper. Baking temperature in ovens is around 300-350 degrees but remember that's for wet varnish. A through-temp of around 120-150 degrees should do it. The main thing is to dry out the paper layer insulation and any moisture that may be deep inside.

Best,

Will