[Amps] Alpha 87A Question

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Sun Sep 18 19:41:46 EDT 2005

jon s wrote:
> Thanks to everyone so far for their thoughts
>
> The 87A was completely "OFF" - not in standby. I understand that there is still some power running some some of the circuits as the meters indicate exciter power levels even when powered down.
>
> Upon power up the amp goes into it's warm-up mode - the Wait LED lights; no Hard Fault Codes are indicated; after warm-up mode -  upon pressing a Band segment button on the Amplifier there is motor movement in the amp as it does it's "thing". However the amplifier does not sense the RF from the exciter to change bands automatically. Also no "amplification" is indicated. Th amp does not shut down by itself and powers down without issue when turning it off.
>
> We removed the top cover looking for a component, (based on the "bang and flash" described by my father I expected to see something blown (capacitor?). Nothing was immediately evident however.

I can't help feel you have not looked hard enough. For something to
flash like that, it must leave some indication of where it happened.

> I tried to talk to the amplifier using a comm program as described in the manual - I was unsuccessful in this however. I guess my Father will call Alpha power Monday and ultimately probably box it up and ship it back for diagnoses and repair.

> Previously to this problem the amp has performed without issue for 4 1/2 years - my Father just chases DX - I occasionally go to his station and operate contests with it.

 From what others have said here many times, there can be problems
moving heavy packages (damage etc). It must be worth spending some
serious time looking.

My Compaq UPS (6 kW) decided to blow itself up on Friday. That made
quite a bang, but there is evidence of smoke on the front, so the fault
should be easy to find. It took out a 32A breaker in the process - it is
the only item on that breaker.
--
David Kirkby,
G8WRB