[Amps] Emtorn DX3 problem

gdaught6@stanford.edu gdaught6 at stanford.edu
Fri Sep 30 11:47:16 EDT 2005

Hi,

>         Here is a good one for you.  Kirby reports that his new Emtron
>         DX3
> (single GU87B)  wipes out his DSL modem.  He says that the DSL modem
> goes off line each, and every, time that the DX3 is turned "on" and
> comes back on line when the amp is turned off.  The amp is simply
> turned "ON", idling, no drive applied.
>
>          My initial thought  is that a spurious signal is being
>          generated in
> one of the  regulator circuits (bias, or screen), or perhaps, the bias
> switching (cut off) circuit.  What do you think? . 73 de K5JV

Curious.  I would suspect the "soft-start" circuit in the Emtron as
the culprit.  It's the first place I would look, anyhow.  It's a
triac switching gizmo hooked up directly to the mains power line.  A
way to test my hypothesis is to remove (temporarily) Emtron's circuit
and substitute an old fashioned resistor switching step start.  If
the problem goes away, the hypothesis was correct, and a solution has
been found.  If the problem doesn't go away, then... ?

73,

George T. Daughters, K6GT