[Amps] rolling your own

Vic K2VCO vic at rakefet.com
Tue Apr 4 13:17:31 EDT 2006

Partain, Chuck wrote:
> Has anyone found an EASIER way to roll #4 solid copper wire up for an inductor? this stuff is STIFF!!!!!!!!!!

I would use tubing, but anyway:

Get a cylinder (piece of wood bannister material works well) of slightly
less than the desired coil I.D.  Drill a hole through one end.  Stick
one end of the wire partway through the hole (not too far or it will be
hard to get the wire off).  Clamp the cylinder in a vise and wind the
wire around it.  When you take it off it will be slightly bigger than
the cylinder, which is why you start with one a bit smaller.

If the wire has been bent before it might be work hardened.  In this
case, heat it with a MAPP gas torch to red heat and let it cool slowly
in air first.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco