[Amps] Rivet-nuts

Paul Whatton paul at g4dcv.co.uk
Wed Apr 5 17:09:33 EDT 2006

Will, not quite the answer you wanted.

Wonderful things rivet nuts (AKA clinch nuts or Rivnuts). I just
"discovered" them and am using them for the lid and base on the GS31b 2m
amplifier I am building.

Being mean I didn't want to buy a special rivet gun. According to the
car enthusiast web pages the cheap guns break very easily and an
industrial version isn't justified here for the limited number of
projects I make down in the shed. With a bit of experimentation and a
few wasted rivet nuts I found that if I drilled an interference fit
hole, tapped them in and then squeezed them up in a vice I got a great
solid fit..

Using M4 aluminium rivet nuts, between 1/4 and 1/3 of a squeeze with a
3" bench vice was just the right pressure. I wouldn't recommend this for
any metalwork for a customer, but for home amps once you get the hang of
it, it's a very quick way to fit blind fasteners.

I bought mine from an ebay supplier here in the UK so sorry, can't help
with the supply at your end Will.

73 Paul G4DCV