[Amps] FT-736R power drop-off

Barrie Smith barrie at centric.net
Wed Apr 5 21:52:32 EDT 2006

I'm now QRV 432 EME again, using JT digital mode, with an FT-736R driving a solid-state amp to 175 watts.

When I finish the new "cat proof" power supply, the SS amp will drive a pair of 3XCPX800s.

I've made several contacts using the 175 watts.  However, I notice that while I get full output from the FT-736R early on in an attempt, as time passes by the output drops.

This, of course, leads to the output of the SS amp dropping.  So, I start an evening with 175 watts, and end at 50 watts.  Pretty tough copy at the other end.

Any ideas as to why the output of the FT-736R is dropping?

73, Barrie, W7ALW