[Amps] Rivet-nuts

N7KA at comcast.net N7KA at comcast.net
Thu Apr 6 20:53:25 EDT 2006

Will

Rivet-nuts (we call them rivnuts at work) are very good means of fastening hardware when it is difficult to attach with a regular nut.  Our use is from a 10-32 screw into racks up to 3/6 for attaching racks to shelter walls.  Grip range from 0.020 to 0.250 inch.

We use mostly steel and  have used stainless steel (think about 500 in each item).

Depending upon the quantity you are going to use, please consider the "hand header" that is made for attaching the rivnut.  Its the best way, except for the very expensive air drive tools we use (about $8000.00).

When you purchase a rivnut it is important to specify the material thickness into which you will be using the rivnut.  You will find a range in which any specific part number rivnut can be used.

A rivnut when pulled up properly will expand behind the material it is inserted into and it is this expansion against the back to the material that pulls the head of the riv-nut against the front of the material.

For most uses I would suggest an open end rivnut, as this will accomodate any length of screw you use.  Closed end rivnuts are used when you want a water tight attachment and then its dipped in an RTV to ensure a good seal around the exterior of the rivnut.

After we install them we MUST perform a torque test and pull-out test to ensure they are properly (in a truely QA fashion, a sample is selected) installed.  If anuyone needs detail info on that test I can advise them.  If one spins its a real bear to to rework of repair (yes, rework and repair are 2 different animals-but thats a different discussion).

PEM nuts are installed using a press (we do lots of them also, and many different types and also studs).  Rivnuts are NOT installed with a press.  A BIG DIFFERENCE.

I have catalogs at work and if needed I could provide some info for you as to the "grip" range you would require for your specific use.  The grip range is that value of pull-up a specific rivnut will accomodate (this translates into material thickness).

We order such large quantities that we do not go to the smaller distributors and as suggested McMaster Carr does carry a selection.  Surely there are others as well, I just happen to have a McMaster Carr catalog in my work file cabinet.

Pick the CORRECT rivnut and its a great product; pick the wrong one and its a miserable product.

Hope this helpful.  Possibly more than you expected, but I know other readers might be interested as well.

Arne N7KA

From: "Will Matney" <craxd1 at verizon.net>