[Amps] Rivet nuts]

Paul Whatton paul at g4dcv.co.uk
Fri Apr 7 14:56:00 EDT 2006

Hi Will

Put your nuts in the vice and squeeze them I say! That shows them who's
boss! It's fast and it's dirty but it works. I've now fitted about 30 in
the current RF deck project.

We'll see further down the thread if you can fix this one. But don't get
too screwed up trying, fitting those things can drive you nuts!

More seriously.....

The only reference I could find to the tool was short listing in their
pdf catalogue (17Mb download). But no price or clues (pictures) to how
it works. I guess there must be some fixed grip for the rivnut attached
to the main body of the drill, or maybe screwed in behind the chuck? Or
maybe the whole assembly replaces the chuck?

On one auto enthusiast web page a guy describes how he used a piece of
flat metal with a hole in it as a grip, put a screw in the rivnut and
pulled it up with just an ordinary screwdriver. He was fitting a quite
chunky steel rivnut. It beats me how he did that, he must have much
better developed biceps than me because I tried that on the puny
aluminium M4 ones I'm using and it sure didn't work for me!

BTW it also crossed my mind that they might be a neat way of building
VHF/UHF yagis? A rivnut each side of the boom, thread the end of the
element halves and maybe apply a dab of Locktite to be really safe.

Regards

Paul