[Amps] Plate Impedance, ARRL

Tony King - W4ZT amps080605 at w4zt.com
Wed Apr 12 15:01:48 EDT 2006

Will, Gerald, Peter and all,

This has been a very interesting discussion.  Just like you I see
constants published running from 1.5 to 2.0 and I don't have any solid
reason to use one over the other except to say that some well respected
people say to use this one or that one for tetrodes or triodes or that
most use 1.6 for 8877's etc.

There are several interactive calculators on line that one can use to
ball park your pi or pi-L tank circuit.  For me, all of them fall short
with one thing or another missing.  Some require you to already know
your Rp. Others Don't tell you the Q they design for. Most don't tell
you the constant (K) they use. None of them give you anything more than
figures for a single frequency.

I have searched the web until I ran out of Google hits and wasn't
completely satisfied with anything I found. I ran across a piece of work
done by Phil Turcotte, VE3OZZ, for pi network design.  It isn't well
published. In fact I only found it on one link. The interesting thing
about his spread sheet was that he showed you all the math which would
enable you to do the same thing.  I used Phil's work as a foundation for
an expanded spreadsheet in which I included six different sheets to give
the curious user a great deal of flexibility to "what if" a lot. Each of
the sheets gives you the option to change different things and get
different outputs. One thing I wanted and managed to include was that
each sheet does output data for each band, 160 through 10 meters, with
three outputs on 80/75 meters.  On each sheet you can specify the
frequency you want to use for calculations. Every sheet gives you the
option to specify your own K, Q, and efficiency. They also compute the
AC line current equivalent to the plate input power. And, each sheet
will print on one page with all the info (on my little HP Inkjet).

The worksheets are arranged such that the primary inputs for the first
one are Pout and Ip (Pout-Ep), for the second are Ep and Ip (Ep-Ip), the
third is a series based on a fixed Ep and a changing Ip, ten 100 mA
steps, (Ip series), the forth is a series based on a fixed Ip and a
changing Ep, ten 100 Volt steps, (Ep series), the fifth gives you the
option to set Ep and Ip and then increases the Ep 100 Volts in ten steps
and adjusts the Ip to maintain the same Rp (Rp-Ep series) (ever wonder
what voltage/current combinations you could use to keep the same Rp, C1,
C2 and L?), and the sixth worksheet does the same thing but steps the Ip
100 mA for ten steps (Rp-IP series).

I don't claim any credit for coming up with the math. That's Phil's and
it appears it works well.  All I have done is assemble it in a fashion
that might be a little more useful if you like doing a lot of that good
old "what if" like I do.

If you want to get a copy and play with it, it's here:
<http://www.geocities.com/mygs35b/pi-net.html>
It's done in Microsoft Excel.

If you have any suggestions to improve it or find something wrong with
it I'd like to hear from you. If you hate it, I'd like to hear that too.
I don't write software; I just needed a tool; so there are no fancy
graphics and I'm not headed there...  ;)

73, Tony W4ZT