[Amps] Henry 2K Classic X roller inductor

Gene Bigham jbigham2 at kc.rr.com
Sun Apr 16 05:27:01 EDT 2006

Some months ago I ordered a new roller inductor for my Henry 2K Classic X, thinking it the prudent thing to do.  Replacement involves removal of the RF deck and some adept gyrations etc to get to and remove all mounting hardware and then replace. :-)
With the replacement in place I enjoyed a couple months of smooth tuning.  BTW if not familiar with Henry 2K Classic X it uses a roller instead of variable cap to tune the plate.
Today, while retuning for a different band, the roller felt funny with a decided lack of smooth roller.  I investigated and found the rear spring metal connectors to the tuning pick up rod and wheel broken in half.
They are snapped off right at the inner rod connection.  I was able to free the broken parts from the rod that holds the pick up wheel, but am still trying to figure out what holds them to the inner center turning rod.
Examining the old roller reveals solid metal, without spring metal, connections to this same rod that holds the contactor wheel.  Initially I thought the spring loaded was superior as it allowed for float of the contactor wheel against the coil stock.  Now I am not so sure.
Anyone with experience in repairing this spring metal piece?  It is two pieces overlapped in leaf spring fashion.  How does it come off the center rotator?
Is it better to move the contactor to the old coil and reinstall it?  The problem before was poor contact with the coil at certain points near resonance.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Gene Bigham KB0GU