[Amps] Low ESR caps for amp power supplies

KD7QAE KD7QAE at ARRL.NET
Sun Apr 30 14:15:27 EDT 2006

John,

I don't believe the issue was with the HV Al EL caps used in our
application but rather in the low ESR, LV parts used on the output of
motherboard voltage regulators.  That said, it is good to be cautious.
I would stick to brand names (Nichicon, United-Chemicon, Masushita,
Rubicon) and only use new 105 deg C parts.  I buy from Digi Key and
Mouser and get great service myself.  You do not need to stick to only
Al EL caps though.  QROstuff (on ebay) is listing new old stock of
energy storage pulse discharge rated caps from the old USSR.  These are
ideal caps for HV PS filtering and you only need 1.  I think Rich has
some 450V caps for sale right now adn I know he buys new and really good
parts.

Tomm