[Amps] grid resonance

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Thu Aug 3 19:29:32 EDT 2006

I've got a problem with a measurement.

I wanted to compare a GDO reading with a network analyzer
S12 reading, but I'm having some difficulties getting a
reading on my old Heath meter.

I can't get any kind of dip at all with my dip meter on any
frequency holding it near the grid lead unless I wrap a turn
or two around or very near the GDO coil.

I managed to see a dip at about 105 MHz when I wound a small
one turn coil and installed it between the grid pin of a
3-500 and chassis, but that changes the readings in an S12
measurement.

The S12 measurements look perfectly fine of course. Very
clear patterns.  I'd like to see how a GDO does in
comparison, but my GDO won't dip on the grid even though it
will dip five inches from a high Q resonant system.

Anyone ever try this method on a 3-500Z or 811A??

73 Tom