[Amps] Options

Martin Sole msole at loxinfo.co.th
Sat Aug 5 01:45:43 EDT 2006

Start with an assumption.
You have a quantity, i.e. more than 10, Eimac 8930's (4CX350R some say)
with bases and teflon chimneys. Tubes are unknown condition but were
removed from service a couple of years ago as working. You have a
quantity of transformers marked 1752 volts rms 275 madc, a similar
quantity of oil filled capacitors rated 5uF 3000 volt and assorted other
componentry, non tank circuit.

Question.
What do YOU think might be the most efficient way of utilising this
hardware assuming the goal is some minimally specified HF band amp (80
through 10 metres).

Possible current thoughts.

Buy old sweep tube amp cheap and retrofit with or without external supply.
Scratch build 2 tube amp and power supply.
Sell tubes sockets and chimneys etc and buy more appropriate hardware,
3-500Z's russian tubes etc
Sell tubes and invest money with other in commercial amp/radio gear. N.B
I already have 4 commercial amps so looking for other ideas, maybe?

What else?

Just interested in what I might do, any thoughts, discussion?

73
Martin HS0ZED