[Amps] grid resonance

Phil Clements philc at texascellnet.com
Mon Aug 7 11:33:27 EDT 2006

> >Ian,
> >Are you saying that a GDO can only dip a "circuit?"
>
> I'm saying you can't even have an L-C resonance without a circuit -
> literally a closed, hard-wired loop.
>
> For example, if you simply connect an L and a C in series, with opposite
> ends floating, you don't have a closed loop so you don't have a resonant
> circuit yet.  Before you can see a resonance and a dip, you must make
> some other connection that closes the loop and completes the circuit.
>
> But the resonance then belongs to the entire circuit you have made - not
> just the obvious inductor and capacitor, but also all the strays that
> you don't know about.
>
> That requirement for a hard-wired circuit only begins to break down if
> components are physically large enough to have significant
> electromagnetic interactions between different parts of themselves -
> antennas being the obvious example, and large anode chokes being
> another.

I agree with all of the above. Someone should have said this about 75 posts
back to enlighten the multitudes of readers on the reflector. About 50% of
the questions would not have had to be answered.

Now here is the biggie that caused this thread....is the grid on a 3-500Z
physically large enough to fall into "significant electromagnetic
interaction" category, or is it in the "hard-wired" category, or none of the
above?

(((73)))
Phil Clements, K5PC