[Amps] grid resonance

TexasRF at aol.com TexasRF at aol.com
Mon Aug 7 11:43:59 EDT 2006

In a message dated 8/7/2006 10:34:24 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
philc at texascellnet.com writes:

>  >Ian,
> >Are you saying that a GDO can only dip a  "circuit?"
>
> I'm saying you can't even have an L-C resonance  without a circuit -
> literally a closed, hard-wired loop.
>
> For example, if you simply connect an L and a C in series, with  opposite
> ends floating, you don't have a closed loop so you don't have  a resonant
> circuit yet.  Before you can see a resonance and a  dip, you must make
> some other connection that closes the loop and  completes the circuit.
>
> But the resonance then belongs to the  entire circuit you have made - not
> just the obvious inductor and  capacitor, but also all the strays that
> you don't know about.
>
> That requirement for a hard-wired circuit only begins to break down  if
> components are physically large enough to have significant
>  electromagnetic interactions between different parts of themselves -
>  antennas being the obvious example, and large anode chokes being
>  another.

I agree with all of the above. Someone should have said this  about 75 posts
back to enlighten the multitudes of readers on the  reflector. About 50% of
the questions would not have had to be  answered.

Now here is the biggie that caused this thread....is the grid  on a 3-500Z
physically large enough to fall into "significant  electromagnetic
interaction" category, or is it in the "hard-wired"  category, or none of the
above?

(((73)))
Phil Clements,  K5PC

Amps  mailing  list