[Amps] Tuned Input - IMD and efficiency

Steve Thompson g8gsq at eltac.co.uk
Tue Aug 8 17:44:54 EDT 2006

Bill Turner wrote:
> [...]
Tom mentioned a point that's been observed before when the topic comes
up - a key aspect of the input circuit appears to be the impedance at
harmonic frequencies at the cathode. If you have a pi network close to
the tube you're in control of that, if it's down to the ATU in a rig
somewhere down the end of some coax, things can be all over the place.

Here's my take on why harmonics are important. The current pulse the
tube passes every half cycle is not a pure sinewave (unless you run
class A). It's a spike of current so it contains harmonics and the
harder you drive the tube towards saturation/flat topping, the higher
the harmonic content goes. If the impedance in the cathode circuit won't
pass the harmonics then it's going to mess up the way the tube works.

It's an effect that will be pronounced when the drive is high - and it
could show as poor efficiency as Tom observed, or as poor linearity if
the shift into gain compression happens earlier. At drive levels/loading
conditions where you stay clear of saturation, you might see only small
effects, so it will be very dependant on individual amplifier setups.

As an aside, adding some capacitance with low inductance leads from
cathode to grid won't only help linearity/efficiency, it might improve
vhf stability too.

Steve