[Amps] QEX article for medium voltage MOSFET linear amplifier link

mike kendall ke6cvh at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 12 08:40:21 EDT 2006

Hello all,
    I already had some schematics and .PDF for this item before the article came out but here goes.
    OK, I haven't even finished reading it yet but this is the article that everyone has been waiting to come out.  It is a 1.5KW linear using two MOSFET devices from MICROSEMI (formerly APT).  The ONLY problem I can find with this unit is long wait times for the MOSFET devices (I've been quoted 3-4 month lead time from some of MICROSEMI's vendors that are willing to stock it) and they are pricey at over $200each.
    I have been working on all the piece parts for over a month and have actually found another company making medium voltage devices suitable for broadband HF applications.  I may be going with the other company as they are not giving me the long lead time run around and their components are noticeably cheaper and have the same voltage requirement of 100volts on the Vdd.
    I think that MICROSEMI would sell alot of these devices if they would be willing to take the approach that GIGAVAC does with their vacuum relays.  With GIGAVAC, if you are a ham and use a credit card that has the same billing name as the amateur radio operator callsign you may purchase a limited amount of devices (5) per year.  MICROSEMI formerly did not want to deal this way and I am well into building a linear with no "engine" or RF components.  This is what got me looking for the alternative source and I have found one.
    Here is the link for the great QEX article:
  http://www.arrl.org/qex/2006/09/qx9ohsawa.pdf
  Best 73,
  Mike Kendall