[Amps] Checking for IMD

Martin AA6E aa6e at ewing.homedns.org
Sun Aug 13 23:02:58 EDT 2006

Tom W8JI wrote:

> Also there is a basic flaw with two-tone tests. Two-tone
> tests don't vary the power supply loading like a voice
> signal would. Flaws in grid voltage or high voltage dynamic
> regulation may not show at all. Almost always the error
> makes things look better than they really are.

Thinking a little more about the dynamic IMD with syllabic fluctuations,
etc.,  I wonder if a narrow spaced two-tone test (10 to 30 Hz, ala
PSK31) would be a useful proxy.  The low-frequency beat would test
supply regulation, as others have noted.

I'm not sure I've ever seen numbers relating to dynamic linearity - just
the simple wide spaced two-tone tests.  Do we have results, or are these
just suspicions?

Plate supply regulation is not very good in most amps, it seems.
Something like -30% no load to full load?  This must have an impact, but
it's not obvious how much it affects IMD, or how you would measure it.

73, Martin AA6E