[Amps] Checking for IMD

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Mon Aug 14 21:01:21 EDT 2006

> The way it was stated you seemed to imply that there is
> slim to no chance it
> is useful for anything. Or did I take that wrong?

You took that wrong. My point is we should learn what it
does and call it what it actually is.

> A false good from a receiver with poor IM performance
> would be caused by??

I didn't say from a receiver with good IM response but a lot
of unusual things can happen. Receivers can desense or gain
compress from strong nearby signals. A strong signal
adjacent channel could reduce receiver gain. Anyone who
tests receivers knows about being misled by things like
that.

I'd like to see how it works on a half dozen common
receivers both over the air and on loads. One major
difference between analyzers and receivers is ingress into
the system from power mains and such. I'm sure a good
protocol and guidelines could be developed and it would be
useful for something in most cases.

I'm almost leaning more towards AGC off, an attenuator, and
a sound card program. With careful adjustment it might be
possible to get 50dB or more DR and use a voice signal.

What spectrum programs are around?

73 Tom