[Amps] HV transformers I want to series primary and parallel secondary

mike kendall ke6cvh at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 18 18:13:00 EDT 2006

Hello,
    The current going through each primary is exactly the same because they are in series.  As the current increases in one transformer (primary) it increases in the other transformer (primary) by the exact same amount. The transformer with the lesser secondary voltage would still experience some kind of flux build up as it's primary winding current increased wouldn't it?  Wouldn't this have, to some extent, a kind of equalizing effect between the two transformers under load?  I would suspect that the need for seperate bridges would apply mostly when there is not a load on the transformers and keep them running cooler under no load conditions. I know I am oversimplifying it as usual but the amount of allowable voltage difference on the secondaries is some kind of relationship between the max power handling of 1 transformer compared to the actual load and also the self regulating effect of the two transformers in series mentioned above.
  73,
  Mike

n AA6E <aa6e at ewing.homedns.org> wrote:
  Larry Carman wrote:
> Another question: If the secondary voltages differed more than 30 or 40
> volts and I used separate bridges, how much of a potential problem would
> that be?
> Larry N5BIP

I want to say, 30 or 40 volts! ;-)

More seriously, it depends on the source resistance of the two
supplies. If the supplies are very "stiff", the higher voltage one will
supply all the current.

73 Martin AA6E