[Amps] State of the Amp

Peter Voelpel df3kv at t-online.de
Tue Aug 22 10:26:45 EDT 2006

I wonder if the factory price of the GS-35b is also less then that of a
3-500Z.
No commercial amp factory would buy their GS-35b through eBay or dark
channels without warranty I guess.
The plate dissipation of the GS-35b is 1500W, that is NOT 5 times 500/600W.
I never saw a GS-35b at their nominal anode voltage of 3KV and less then
100W drive doing more then 1200W out in grounded grid.
With 200W drive and 4KV it is doing very well.
I personally prefer convection cooled glass envelope tubes like QB4/1100 or
QB5/1750 and their equivalents in passiv grid, much less noise in the shack
and the same output power at far less drive.
>From the Russian tubes I would rather use the GU-84 if I want metal ceramic
tubes in my amp.

73
Peter