[Amps] AL-80B Trouble

Rod Elliott ve3irf at sympatico.ca
Sat Aug 26 06:46:50 EDT 2006

I sympathize with Mike. About 3 years ago I bought an AL-80B that
lost three 3-500s in seven months, all with grid-filament shorts. I
posted here about this, which precipitated one of the previous rounds
of argument about the cause... hi!

Now for the rest of the story... two of those tubes were unused
post-2000 dated Amperex, the other was a used Eimac. I have no idea
what the root cause was, I'm not choosing sides, and all I request
from this reflector is civilized, fact-based discussion.

I'd like to praise Ameritron for their support during that ordeal.
They quickly supplied warranty replacements for all three failed tubes.

The final resolution: I replaced the AL-80B with an AL-1200, and have
lived happily ever since.

Non Illegitemos Corundum

73
Rod Elliott VE3UW