[Amps] TL-922 question

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Tue Aug 29 13:44:41 EDT 2006

Tom,

> 1. Replacing the blocking cap may have necessitated increasing the
> padder caps on 80 and 160.  It seems like all the load positions are a
> bit less than the manual would indicate.  The other bands are still in
> range.

Not likely ...

> 2. The 80 meter padder cap, which is also used on 160, is actually
> 2 ganged sections of the 5 section Load variable cap.  It is
> possible that this cap has become disconnected somewhere in the
> path from the bandswitch to ground.  The 160 padders are discrete
> components

If the amp loads even at maximum capacitance on 80, the second section
of the loading capacitor I getting switched in.  You could not "get
there" with the 40 meter values.

when you use the amplifier at powers above the design parameters,
the plate load impedance decreases.  Lower plate load impedance,
will necessitate larger capacitors ... if you are pushing and amp
designed for 1200 W PEP output to 1500 W PEP, you have decreased
the plate load impedance by 20%.  A 20% decrease in plate load
impedance will require a 15 to 20% increase in the values of the
tune and load capacitor (and similar decrease in the coil).  I
haven't calculated new capacitor values if the coil is kept
constant but I would bet the big issue is lack of capacitance
to handle the new operating point.

> When I get to work on the amp again I will,
>
> 1. Check the mechanical integrity of the 80 meter padder cap
> connections
> 2. Up the blocking cap to 2000pf since this seems to be a better
> value for this purpose.

Don't bother ...

> 3. IF these do not work, add some more padder capacitance to the
> 80 meter Padder.

Adding another 500 pF across the 80 meter capacitor MAY get you
close enough.  Take a set of three or four replacements for
C69/C70 with you just in case they are bad and use one on 80.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV