[Amps] Heat spreader for solid-state amps

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Tue Aug 29 21:47:55 EDT 2006

> Can you go too thick?  Thermally wise yes.  You want the
> heat to get out of
> the unit.  That means passing it horizontally away from
> the device and then
> vertically to the HEAT SINK then to moving air through the
> heat sink.  The
> copper will heat quickly and retain heat past the time
> your blowers are
> turned off.

I'm having a difficult time following the logic in that. I
don't believe that point could ever be reached. It would
require a fast-attack slow-decay copper.
The temperature rise time should be the same as the fall
time. As long as cooling from radiation and air contact
exceeds applied heat you are OK no matter how thick the
copper gets.

73 Tom