[Amps] 2 x 4-250A Amp

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Sun Dec 17 18:13:15 EST 2006

The filament transformer is 10 volts with no center tap and
the two five
volt filaments are wired in series. The B- is thru a meter
to a resistor
across the filaments.The article with the amp suggests the
bias is for class
B operation.>>

There actually is almost no such thing as class B. Class B
by definition is 180 degrees conduction angle. That is
actually too short for linear service unless you are really
slack about distortion. Most amps CLAIMED to be class B are
really class AB something. I'd bet money your amp is
actually AB2, which is a conduction angle of more than 180
and less than 360 and having grid current.

I want to convert the amp to a tetrode circuit running AB1.
My first
question is the B- point. I will use the same filament
transformer and I
want to know if connecting a meter between ground and the
connection between
the two filaments in series will work OK. I can't see why
not. But you folks
know a whole lot more about this stuff than I do.>>

Two resistors in series across the 10V series filaments is
really not a smart idea. Think about what you really have.
You have the HUM electrical equivalent of simply wiring the
B- tap point to the mid-point of the two fialments that are
in series. The problem is the resistance makes the bias
sloppier so you actually have an electrically worse system,
but uit does save a choke winding. You might consider
trashing that resistor idea. It is poorly conceived to do
that with series fialments. Not a well thought out idea at
all.

I need to build a power supply and from what I can see,
using the tetrode
board from IFWTech / G3SEK will make life a lot easier. I
was planning on
getting the screen bias voltage for the tetrode board by
taping across the
lower caps in the power supply. Not much current is drawn so
I don't see
that this will cause a problem. What do you think?>>

I think it is a very poor idea unless the amp has some very
stout equalizing resistors. In the first place it would be
very difficult to regulate the screen, and the screen needs
regulated. It also needs a shunt regulator, or a series
regulator with a heavy bleeder.  It also needs current
limited.

Personally I'd never even consider tapping down on a series
string of electrolytics. It's just asking for problems.

73 Tom