[Amps] MLA2500 10 Meter Mod

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Mon Dec 18 08:20:01 EST 2006

> Standard Time,
> bmaser at tampabay.rr.com writes:
>
> have my  MLA2500 up for sale on QTH.com and I received a
> query as to
> whether the 10  Meter mod had been done.  How do you tell
> other than trying
> to load  it up on 10?

Bob,

Dentron kind of built to fit the mood of the day and the
availability of parts. Dentron did a combination of five
things to prevent 10 meter operation:

1.) They moved the adjustable stop in the bandswitch to
prevent turning the switch to ten meters.

2.) They did not have a tuned input section installed for
ten meters in amps that had the ATI-6 (tuned input) board.

3.) Sometimes they left the relay wire to the ATI-6 board
out.

4.) They left the wire out that goes from the ten meter tap
on the tank coil to the ten meter terminal of the
bandswitch.

5.) They installed a trap or lowpass in amps that had
combinations of the above mods but still failed the 25-30MHz
gain restrictions for type-acceptance. This was generally
the higher gain amplifiers using ceramic tubes.

This varied with production runs of the various amplifiers
as well as the particular model.

73 Tom