[Amps] QST

Robert B. Bonner rbonner at qro.com
Mon Dec 18 15:06:46 EST 2006

Yes it is a pretty sorry state of affairs.

The NCJ was started by the Minnesota Wireless Association in the early 70's
and when Tod Olson became a VP of the ARRL the league "Bought" took over
whatever the NCJ from Tod.  As an MWA member at the time, I'd liked to have
seen the paperwork on that deal.

Remember QST was originally only a LISTING of hams who were members of the
League to RELAY messages.

Its working its way back to its roots but I'm sorry due to privacy of our
members we cannot list them to the public...  POOF.

I've gone nose to nose with Sumner several times in my career.  Since I'm
not a league supporter or believer in their BS or lack of leadership.

They want all the power, but do nothing in return for it.  They could be SO
POWERFUL as a coordinator of all Civil Defense right now if there was
somebody who had balls at the helm.

League membership is way off.  New ham starts are way off.  The average age
of the ham radio operator ages .8 years per year.  (direct from Sumner I
thought it was 1 year per year, hahahaha we were having DRINKS at Dayton
discussing stuff.

Anyway.  Since money is tight... They have cut the heft out of QST and
splintered off QEX and of course the NCJ.  If you are interested you must
SPEND MORE MONEY.  OH interesting.

This was all a product of the bean counters.

If I cared I'd subscribe to QEX and NCJ.  Hell I used to get the NCJ for
free when I was a MWA member pre league.

BOB DD