[Amps] RFI - Small Home Network?

Robert Chudek k0rc at citlink.net
Sat Feb 4 23:35:33 EST 2006

Tim,

I have a couple of months experience under my belt. I recently installed a
D-Link 2.4 GHz router (DI-624) and cards in 2 desktop and 1 laptop
computers. I have only run 500 watts maximum on HF to date, with most
contesting at the 100 or 150 watt level. I don't have any experience with
VHF or UHF equipment yet.

There has been NO interference with the WiFi network from my HF radio stuff.
And several of the computers are using wireless keyboards and mice too.
Again, no RFI issues. My only piece of advice on these new gadgets is to
purchase NiMH batteries and a charger because you'll go broke feeding
batteries into the keyboards and mice if you don't.

There was ONE source of interference. I would get random network
disconnects. A few minutes later, the connection would come back online. It
took me a day or two to realize what was going on. It seems our 2.4 GHz
cordless phone system would over power the router. This only happened when
my wife used the portable phone, thus the random-ness aspect of the problem!
(I couldn't hear her dialing out, but after a few days of incoming calls I
finally put 2 & 2 together.)

I purchased external 7 dBi mag mount WiFi antennas and put them on the
router and computers. That didn't help at all. I moved the wireless phone to
the opposite end of house, as far away from the router as I could go. That
didn't help.

The solution was to reprogram the router to channel 11 instead of 6 (the
default). This appears to have solved the RF contention problem. The
wireless phone will now be able to QSY down to channel 1 to avoid the
collisions.

Other than those lessons learned, my wireless experience has been a
revelation. It's kinda like moving from film based cameras to digital. You
don't even have to think about network wiring or problems adding more
computers later.

73 de Bob - K0RC