[Amps] T networks and harmonics

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Mon Feb 6 17:57:24 EST 2006

Hi Bill,

I guess this was in response to your response to someone that said that "a T
network tuner after the amp would not help reduce harmonics as it was
basically a high pass filter". You said that "it would help some".

So I assumed you were,in this case, talking about T network type antenna
tuners. Capacitors in series coil to ground at the center.

I did some more measurements this time using an HP 3586C selective level
meter which has a tracking generator and level readout in DB.

At 10 mhz the tuner was loaded into the input of the 3586C with the input
impedance set to 10k ohms with 50pf in parallel. There was about 5 feet of
rg58 cable between the tuner and the 3586C input. Not sure what the load
actually looks like at the tuner. This is what I got:

10 mhz = 0 db.
20 mhz = -9 db
30 mhz = -8 db

There was a notch around 15 mhz of about -15 db.

At 9 mhz the level was -12 db.
At 8 mhz the level was -20 db.
At 7 mhz the level was -25 db.
These frequencies are of course below the 10 mhz where the tuner was tuned
to. Shows how much the low end drops off compared to the high side.

With a 560 ohm resistor at the input of the 3586C and the tuner retuned at
10 mhz for this load this is what I got:

10 mhz = 0 db
20 mhz = -4 db
30 mhz = -5 db

With a 50 ohm load at the input of the 3586C the response was almost flat.
Less than a db difference between 10 mhz and 30 mhz with tuner tuned to 10
mhz.

I don't know how much the input capacitance of the 3586C affects the load
seen by the tuner or how much the coax effects things.

I wish I had a way of isolating the input loading on the measuring devices
for higher impedance loads. Same problem with the spectrum analyzer except
its' input is a fixed 50 ohms.

73
Gary  K4FMX