[Amps] Amperite Delay Relay Tube Question

Bob Selbrede, K6ZZ k6zz at ccis.com
Mon Feb 6 21:06:42 EST 2006

Hi Folks,

I bought an Amperite 6NO180T 3 minute time delay relay tube
to replace the stock 75 second tube in my amp.  I could have
used another timer device but I figured it would be easy to
simply pop in a longer delay tube and call it good since I
was able to find one at a reasonable price.

What I received (from a reputable parts house) was not what
I expected.  I've never bought one of these things before so
please tell me if you think this tube is "normal" for a New
Old Stock tube of this type.  This NOS tube has a
significant amount of discoloration on the inside of the
tube envelope from excessive heat, or so I expect.  The
discoloration is at the top of the tube where the contacts
are and not at the bottom where the heater coil is.  The
more puzzeling thing is that the tube has a hunk of molten
metal or something along those lines rolling around it it.
The heater coil looks good and has continuity (6.5 Ohms) so
I'm not sure where it came from.  Does this sound right for
one of these tubes?  What is the junk on the inside?  I
don't have my old 75 second tube to compare it with.

Thanks, Bob