[Amps] FW: RFI Question

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Feb 7 10:40:10 EST 2006

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 10:11:12 -0500, m.ford wrote:

>I have had great results from the rectangular snap on devices
>sold by RS. Part # 273-104. You can wind many turns of just
>about anything on them or stack em like flap jacks.

Yes. As noted in my tutorial, ANY coil of wire will see its R
and L multiplied by the square of the number of turns, and stray
capacitance between the turns. A ferrite surrounding the wire
adds its own losses, as well as permeability much greater than
air.

It is important to understand that it is the LOSS component that
is most useful for suppression, NOT the reactive component.

Jim