[Amps] Sencore vs hp, etc. TSPA

Will Matney craxd1 at verizon.net
Wed Feb 8 11:49:40 EST 2006

John,

Your correct. Sencore does have a few added gadgets but most can be done either by ones self like reforming caps with a power sipply, etc. I have an older Simpson capacitor checker I use and does well. Only cost about $20 if I recall. Sencore designed their equipment around the TV service industry to start with, then VCRs came out, then PC's. I think that's what's keeping them afloat is the PC monitor test equipment. The prices they have are well over what the equipment is worth. I serviced TV's starting in 1983. That was when the TV repair business was still able to make some money, but shortly thereafter the bottom dropped out. I used to get sencore ads in the mail at least twice a month wanting me to lease to buy, or buy straight out. I always bought B&K because it was cheaper, and really better in my opinion for service.

Right now on ebay, you can look under the LCR meters in Test Equipment and see what I mean. I seen one HP LCR meter with a strating price of about $49. The cheapest Sencore was like $200 and one $600. They'll sell too as they always do (Sencore). For me, I'd rather take my chances bidding and put $200 in the HP. The main reason I mentioned the LCR meters on here is some use them for winding coils on here. I hate to see folks waste their money when they can get something 10X the quality for less.

Best,

Will