[Amps] transformer talk

Will Matney craxd1 at verizon.net
Fri Feb 10 09:44:36 EST 2006

All,

Belows a link to a webpage I did on the subject. Please excuse the ads as that was the only place I had to put this at the time. The current drawn by the transformer is from the drops in the power supply plus the load. In a class AB amp, it's only 50% efficient so the current will be X2 what is needed to produce the wanted output power. Another thing is voltage sag under load. My experience has shown me that it is always more than 10% drop. I always use 12-13% but have seen as high as 15% in some Heathkit amps using smaller transformers on the edge so to speak. The extra power needed by the transformer itself is from it's efficiency which is ruled by watts per pound loss in the iron, and I^2R losses in the wire. The higher the current rating on the wire in circular mils per ampere, the higher the efficiency. Also, a better grade of iron in the core gives better efficiency. The lower you go in M numbers like M-2 to M-50 is the efficiency drop in watts per pound loss. M-2 giving the highest efficiency, but being the most costly.

Formulas;

http://amateur-transformer.125mb.com/pf.htm

Best,

Will