[Amps] Hipot tester Info Needed

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Mon Feb 13 11:22:49 EST 2006

An easy way to get a nice hipot tester is to pick up one of the AC units
that no one wants. They can be had very cheap. I got a 5 kv AC unit then
built a simple voltage doubler to be used external to the unit. I think it
is an associated research unit too. It has a current limiter trip circuit
that protects things nicely. I mounted two 50 or 100 micro amp meters on a
plastic stand along with resistors and diodes and caps. One meter is in
series to measure current the other to measure the DC voltage. I just clip
this to the AC output of the AC high pot unit and I have over 10kv of DC.
Adjust the variac in the AC unit to control the DC voltage.

73
Gary  K4FMX