[Amps] Tokyo HP

Dr. David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Fri Feb 17 09:44:30 EST 2006

john wrote:
>  >What's not immediately clear within the rules is the extent to which the
>  >purchaser is culpable when s/he purchases the non-certified amplifier for
>  >amateur use.  In the past, the FCC has pretty much placed the onus for
>  >compliance with the manufacturers and not on the end users in this
>  >"dealer-to-junkie" relationship.
>
> It's laughable to consider the FCC doing anything in this regard. With
> thousands of blatantly illegal CB amps sold steadily on Ebay and other
> venues, the thought that the FCC might go charging off and prosecuting a
> ham for importing a single ham amp for ham use, is not one I'd worry about.
> THP makes some very nice products, and I'd certainly not hesistate to
> purchase them if they met my requirements. From what I hear, excellent
> product support and quality.
>
> Whatever happened to the rumor that the FCC was going to end this nonsense?
>
> John K5MO

I don't know if this applies to radio kit, but last week I exported a
CPU to the US from the UK. I had to fill in an FCC form for Fedex. In
the case of the CPU it was exempt from regulations, since whilst it
creates interference, it is going to go inside a computer. So no
problems for me.

But any get-out was exporting 3 or less items for personal use. So that
might mean that is it is not illegal to import any item to the US if it
is for personal use. So you may find you can import anything quite
legally like that if for personal use. Of course using it in an illegal
manner would be in contravention of your ham license, but perhaps
(rather sensibly) importing it as such is not illegal.