[Amps] Two transformer questions

Will Matney craxd1 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 20 21:33:15 EST 2006

Andy,

On 2/21/06 at 2:18 AM gd0tep at Safe-mail.net wrote:

>>The way you can stop them from coupling with each other is to mount
>>the toroid iron cores at right angles to each other.
>
>Ah, OK.. there isn't enough room for a right angle stack, but what if I
>stacked them one on top of the other, with about 1" between them, and some
>sort of steel plate between them that's part of the cabinet?

No, dont use steel as it's similar to the steel ribbon the toroids are made of. You might use a thick piece of micarda or plastic, several pieces made like big washers, and seperate the two transformers at least 1 inch or more would be better by having them in line with each other.

>>Toroid power transformers are really hard to rewind
>
>Ooops, my mistake... the transformer that needs rewinding is not a toroid,
>it is a standard type transformer, with 240v in and 2,400v out, with turns
>for 12v, 100v and 300v (if I remember right)

Since it's not a toroid, yes it can be rewound for around 1/2 to 3/4 of a new price. That is if it's not potted.

>There's a picture here: http://www.gd0tep.com/amp/trany.jpg

I can estimate the power the core is capable of by the dimensions of the core itself. I would need the height, width, and thickness of the stack. You have multiple windings there too which all have to come up to the one power rating. Really, the HV plate transformer should be seperate from the low voltage so the HV winding can stay cooler. That's their design decision though, and just my opinion.