[Amps] QSK or not

Joe Isabella n3ji at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 23 10:04:43 EST 2006

I use both the RF Gain and a slower AGC on the receiver.  There is virtually NO noise between elements that way.  Same with SSB -- it's better than squelch.  I use a lot of attenuation, RF Gain, and a medium AGC.  There's almost no noise when nobody is talking.

  Joe, N3JI

Paul Christensen <w9ac at arrl.net> wrote:
  > frequency, perhaps they shouldn't be transmitting! Or perhaps the RF
> gain is turned up too high...

That's a significant factor on the low bands. On 160M-40M, I generally run
the RF gain back to about S8 or S9 and this makes QSK much more enjoyable
for me.

Paul, W9AC