[Amps] QSK

Jim Kearman jkearman at att.net
Thu Feb 23 12:29:00 EST 2006

From: Joe Isabella <n3ji at yahoo.com>
> Do you use logging SW complete with DX Spots and rig & rotor control, too?

Interesting how the scope of this discussion keeps expanding exponentially. From memory keyers, we have now boldly leapt into full station automation in the blink of a dit.

The website url in my sig will answer most of your questions. Note that my _solid-state transceiver_ has a synthesizer so I don't have to change crystals to QSY. It also has a digital display so I don't have to interpolate an analog dial. Even worse, I use a keyer, not a straight key. And look, look! -- there's an MFJ 1026 so I don't have to work so hard digging signals out of the noise. I guess I'm not having much fun. Maybe I should go back to the Valiant, NC-303 and bug I used 30+ years ago. While I'm at it I could swap my Florida condo for the East Village flat I lived in when I had those radios, where I used the fire escape for an antenna. But I've moved on, on all fronts.

Technology is only a tool, an extension of our hands and minds. A memory keyer helps me be a better operator. I see nothing to apologize for. I use CT in contests, too, not paper dupe sheets. I think your comments were out of line. For all you know I am physically challenged, with neurological damage that makes it hard to use a paddle repetitively. "Judge not..."

73,

Jim, KR1S
Author of "The DXCC Companion" and "Low Profile Amateur Radio"
http://kr1s.kearman.com/