[Amps] Nat NCL2000

Peter Chadwick g3rzp at g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 23 12:29:32 EST 2006

Bill Turner said:

>Amp-derived ALC never works exactly like you want it to.<
I'm not that convinced that any ALC really does....it's usually implemented such that it's trying to close the door after the horse has bolted.
I suspect that to avoid that approach, the ALC needs to start kicking in at some power level below where you want it to hold the power. To get fast attack and not have the loop unstable or transients screwing things up, you need a balanced gain controlled amplifier (really a 4 quadrant multiplier) and a balanced control loop and it gets so messy  that I for one say "*&%8^@# it"  and don't bother.........A bad ALC loop produces plenty of what Rich calls, politely, 'feculence'. I have a cruder name for it.......
73
Peter G3RZP (but not at home yet)