[Amps] [BULK] - DIN stands for....?

Steve Thompson g8gsq at eltac.co.uk
Sun Feb 26 03:00:07 EST 2006

Bill Turner wrote:

> There are plenty of good connector around, there just aren't any cheap ones.
> The circular connector made by Cannon is pretty much standard in commercial
> aircraft and military equipment where reliability is a must, but they are
> expensive, for good reason.
>
> There is a small fortune out there waiting for someone who can develop a new
> connector that is inexpensive, reilable, easy to assemble, easy to repair,
> easy to mount on either panel or cable and idiot proof. Who wants to be the
> next Bill Gates?
As someone commented earlier, if you hunt for the right supplier, there
are DIN plugs out there that don't suffer the problems everyone's
listed. You can buy versions with solid metal bodies and pin carriers
that don't melt and they're a world apart from the crummy two part
shells with slide-on plastic cover.

XLR uses round hole mounting - they're really robust, and don't need the
magnifier and surgical techniques to solder them. You can get up to 7
ways - but the price climbs.

Personally, I like D types. OK - it's a pain making the panel hole, but
even low cost ones are decent connectors. Pay a few pennies more, and
you get something really nice.

Steve