[Amps] LeCroy scopes

Bill Fuqua wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Mon Feb 27 12:49:38 EST 2006

Good point, Once I got past the deficiencies of the input amplifiers I
should have mentioned the probes because many thing that the x10 probes
will protect their equipment when often they will not. The compensation
capacitor which is between the probe tip and the input of the scope
(parallel with a 9 MegOhm resistor normally) may break down. My only
explanation of why Tektronix scopes are generally better is because they
had a longer history of solid state oscilloscope development and production
than HP or LeCroy. HP for a while completely got out of the Oscilloscope
business. And until digital oscilloscopes became more practical. Their
first fast Digital  Scopes had + - 20 volt limitations on the inputs and
the horizontal inputs and vertical inputs had different impedances so that
you needed two sets of probes if you were going to externally sync on a
waveform.

73
Bill wa4lav