[Amps] DIN - Plessey connectors

Roger Parsons ve3zi at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 27 22:24:03 EST 2006

RE: [Amps] - DIN stands for....?

'Plessey' [LMF, LMG (coarse) and LMJ (fine)]
connectors are still available from Weald Electronics
who brought out the designs many years ago. They are
widely used in underground coal mining, where exposed
aluminium is not permitted (with the notable exception
of the US!), as they are just about the only all brass
connectors available. They are also very rugged -
nearly miner-proof. Not sure about the cad-pass - new
ones look the same as they always did ....

Amphenol-Tuchel Electronics GMBH do a nice line in
waterproof (IP67?) plastic connectors which are
dramatically less expensive than their
aerospace/military types and for many purposes just as
good. I have a 7 way version in front of me with the
part number T 3107 000, but not sure of suppliers.

Neither of these would be very good for the back of a
transceiver. Personally, I like DIN connectors. They
are a little fiddly to make off, but I've never had a
failure. As others have pointed out, there are two
different types of 8 pin connectors, both of which are
covered by the DIN specifications. Unfortunately, they
_nearly_ mate, and will do so if sufficient force is
applied!

73 Roger
VE3ZI

Seab said:
>Long live Cannon and Plessey connectors<
As far as I'm aware, Plessey Connectors died a long
time ago, some time after
G8LT retired as Managing Director. Not sure who GEC
sold it to. The only good
thing about the GEC take over of Plessey was that the
pension was marginally
better. I don't think the Plessey Mark IV connectors
are made any more by
anyone - I think the military use the Amphenol variety
these days. In fact, the
coarse thread variety used cadmium plate and
passivated finish, so they
definitely won't be made!
73
Peter G3RZP