[Amps] Maximum RF output in practical application: 4-250A

W.F van Wyk zs6arf at telkomsa.net
Sat Jul 1 09:15:34 EDT 2006

I have been hearing claims at the local flea markets here in South Africa
that a single 4-250A valve is capable of between 800 - 900 watts in ham band
amplifier application.

Now I have used these myself in a number of homebrew amplifiers, and never
have I even come close to that type of output from a single 4-250A.

Have I missed something in my amplifier education or is this High Grade
Fertilizer which I currently believe it is.

The local experts claiming this indicate voltages on the plate in the region
of 5,000 Volts and get a blank look when I enquire about IMD and splatter.

Now I am aware on the specification sheets for this valve RF power above 800
watts are indicated under certain conditions but I still have to see that
put into practice in a Ham amplifier say for normal HF band usage.

Please steer me in the right direction here.

Thank You

Wynand van Wyk (ZS6ARF)