[Amps] Parasitcs

R L Measures r at somis.org
Sun Jul 2 07:00:50 EDT 2006

On Jul 2, 2006, at 1:26 AM, Jan Erik Holm wrote:

> No, it´s interesting.

Indeed, Jan.  To me, one of the more interesting facets of the
phenomenon is why did we ignore feedback-C for so many years.  Sure,
C-fb looks insignificantly low, but when Mu and f are high, C-fb's X
can be in the k-ohms range.  For example, the 3-500Z is rated f is
110MHz, and a pair of 3-500Zs have 0.3pF of C-fb.. Thus, at the rated
f, there's 5000-ohms of X between the anode output and the cathode
input that does not appear on schematics.  Compared to the anode's RL
of 2000-ohms, as I see it, 5000-ohms feeding back to the input is
nothing to sneeze at.
   In hindsight, since the Heath SB-220's anode resonance rings at c.
110MHz** whenever anode-I changes, and it uses a pair of 3-500Zs, why
should we be surprised that there's enough feedback to cause it to
occasionally oscillate when anode current abruptly changes?
    Since newer tubes, such as the 8877 have only 0.1pF C-fb, it
might seem that they would be less prone to oscillate, but the 8877
has more Mu and over double the f capability.  As a result, at its f
rating, the X of C-fb is 5500-ohms for an 8877.
** seen with a spectrum analyzer loosely coupled to the anodes.
end