[Amps] again

Peter Chadwick g3rzp at g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 3 04:31:13 EDT 2006

Roy said:
>you are indeed adjusting for an impedance match of the tube and
the load and for maximum efficiency all at the same time <

This gets perilously close to igniting that argument about whether or not you provide a conjugate match to the tube. Since most linear amps are around 50% efficient, the answer would appear to be 'yes', although not intentionally. Something I've never figured out or had explained to me is how you can have much higher efficiencies than 50% if you do achieve a conjugate match.......So I've always gone along the route of providing an optimum load impedance.

73
Peter G3RZP