[Amps] 4CX10,000J / Unwanted emissions

Mark Hill g4fph at mjha.co.uk
Mon Jul 3 08:26:52 EDT 2006

Craig,

As Tom and others quite rightly reminds us, unwanted outputs from TX
come in a wide variety of forms.

I remember, many years back, doing a 160 meter contest in which (to
try to gain an edge) we ran 'duplex' using a second receiver on a
separate low dipole about 1 wavelength and at right angles to the
main TRx dipole at 100 feet.  The setup did work remarkably well, but
the limiting factor was the phase and other wideband noise rather
than the close in stuff.  As I recall, an IC-735 as the TRx was
noticeably worse than an old FT-101 in this regard.  I think UK
coastal radio stations would put all the TX on one site and all the
RX on another, several miles away.  Some one knew 'too difficult'
when they saw it!

I hadn't realised the old TS-50 had a good reputation.  Will check
that out as they are quite cheap radios on the used market now.

Personally, I find that the ARRL and RSGB technical reviews are still
the best guides as to ham radio equipment performance.  While the
text of reviews sometimes appears 'dumbed down', the figures usually
speak for themselves.

Regards.

Mark.

Mark Hill - G4FPH