[Amps] How to tune an FL-2100B

Dan Wright dwright12 at neb.rr.com
Tue Jul 4 08:55:15 EDT 2006

Thanks for the nice reply, Tom....

>You actually should load that FL2100 at full Yeasu drive, but that
>would be too much for the little FL2100 for very much time. The
>FL2100 is a terrible AM linear for the FT101.

goody....scratch that idea....

>PEP from the FT101EX could be as much as 150 watts. That means the
>FL2100 needs to be fully loaded at 150 watts of CW carrier drive,
>and that is just too much.  You'd need an attenuator pad between the
>amp and rig or really watch your control settings.

Why can't I just reduce the drive on the '101 to 25 watts and drive
the amp with that?

 From brief experience:

It looks like if I drive the amp with 25 watts, I get around 125 -130
watts out of the
amp. Four times that (PEP) is 520 watts, well below the 1200 watts PEP rating
of the amp.

What am I missing here?

>Load the amp heavy enough to handle peaks without saturating or
>over-dissipating the tubes. To do that safely, you will need to add
>two more tubes.

I see....

>73 Tom

73 to you as well, de Dan