[Amps] L4-B Power Supply

Vic K2VCO vic at rakefet.com
Tue Jul 4 14:19:10 EDT 2006

Tom Sessions wrote:

> (1) I could choose capacitors with larger capacity.
> (2) I could choose capacitors with higher voltage ratings.
> (3) Both (1) and (2) together
> (4) I could choose capacitors of the original ratings and possibly use the
> extra space for something else.

If the original capacity provided adequate dynamic regulation and hum
reduction then increasing the capacity will only store more energy which
would do more damage in the event of an arc.

I also don't see the advantage in using capacitors of a higher voltage
rating unless the present ones are marginal.  If the transformer was
originally designed for 220v and you are now running it on 240v, for
example, that could be the case (I'm not familiar with the L4B and don't
know if the primary has taps that can be adjusted).

On the other hand, if you can get capacitors with a higher temperature
rating, that might be worthwhile.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco