[Amps] How to tune an FL-2100B

R L Measures r at somis.org
Tue Jul 4 10:09:07 EDT 2006

On Jul 4, 2006, at 4:02 AM, Dan Wright wrote:

> Greetings!!
>
> I am new to this list, but not too awfully new to amateur radio,
> been licensed 42 years....but maybe that don't mean much!
>
> I have a recently acquired Yaesu FL-2100B. I have never owned
> one of these, but I have several other amps.
>
> Anyhoo....the second time I used it, the bandswitch arced and
> burnt to a crisp! Maybe I'm not tuning it up properly?

An arcing bandswitch in a 2100B is usually the result of regeneration
roughly 95MHz.  If you want to see the resonance that supports this
phenomenon, pull the power plug and couple a dip-meter to either end
of the DC blocker cap.  You should see a sharp, high-Q dip where its
taking off.  To make the amplifier have less gain / more stability at
VHF, decrease the VHF-Q of the parasitic suppressors.
   Burned bandswitch contacts can sometimes be replaced by drilling
out the rivet and fastening another contact in it's place with #0-80
brass hardware.
    cheers, Dan