[Amps] Advanced Power Technologies ARF1505

mike kendall ke6cvh at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 5 11:45:15 EDT 2006

Hello,
    I have been looking at the Advanced Power Technologies, now owned by Microsemi, ARF1505 power MOSFET.  It does 750watts power output and requires 300VDC.  They have app notes and it claims to be easier to match than the 48vdc supply Motorola devices.
    Has anyone built one of these amps, a pair will get full legal limit no sweat and may be better than the typical MRF154 1KW amps.  They appear to be very reasonable.  The news link on them from a few years back stated around $150 each in quantities of 100 units but I don't know how much in smaller quantities.
    This could possibly be a great topic for discussion and an outstanding project.  They are supposed to use the same copper heat spreader and aluminum heat sink that the Motorola applications notes use and available from CCI (Communications Concepts Incorporated).
    The company also claims the power supply would be cheaper to build because of no need for a DC to DC converter as used in the 48VDC switching power supplies.
    These FET's are used with the medical applications and HF amplifiers.  They work class A-E up to 30mhz and have a typical efficiency up to 75%
    I emailed the company for more info. and am waiting for a reply.  Comments/discussion?
  73,
  ETC(SW/AW) Mike Kendall USN